SAN ANTONIO – ASHRAE has installed new officers and directors for 2012-13 at its Annual Meeting being held here June 23-27. The new president is Thomas E. Watson, P.E., Fellow Life Member, chief engineer, McQuay International, Staunton, Va. His presidential theme is Broadening ASHRAE’s Horizons, which emphasizes the role of ASHRAE members as leaders in the application of sustainable design and practices in our communities worldwide.
“Let us build on a strong heritage as a technical society and broaden the application of our technology to serve humanity and promote a sustainable world,” he said. “We must look at broadening our technology, our applications and our people.”
Other officers installed for a one-year term are:
• President-Elect: William “Bill” P. Bahnfleth, Ph.D., P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, professor, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pa.
• Treasurer: Thomas “Tom” H. Phoenix, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, ASHRAE-Certified Building Energy Assessment and Building Energy Modeling Professional, principal and vice president, Moser Mayer Phoenix Associates, Greensboro, N.C.
• Vice President: Constantinos A. Balaras, Ph.D., P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, research director at the Institute for Environmental Research and Sustainable Development, National Observatory of Athens, Greece
• Vice President: Daniel C. Pettway, sales representative, Hobbs and Associates, Norfolk, Va.
• Vice President: Timothy G. Wentz, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, ASHRAE-Certified High Performance Building Design Professional, associate professor, University of Nebraska – Lincoln.
• Vice President: Thomas E. Werkema, senior consultant, Arkema Inc., Knoxville, Tenn.
ASHRAE installed the following directors to serve a three-year term from 2012-2015:
• Region I Director and Regional Chair: Joseph L. Furman, senior sales engineer, Automated Logic, Wallingford, Conn.
• Region II Director and Regional Chair: Isabelle Lavoie, P.E., branch account manager systems and HVAC, Province of Quebec, Johnson Controls, Saint-Laurent, Quebec, Canada
• Region III Director and Regional Chair: Paul E. Petrilli, P.E., principal, H.F. Lenz Co., Johnstown, Pa.
• Region XI Director and Regional Chair: Kevin L. Marple, president, Benz Air Engineering Co., Inc., Portland, Ore.
• Director-at-Large: Charles H. Culp III, Ph.D., P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, ASHRAE-Certified High Performance Building Design Professional, professor, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas.
• Director-at-Large: Kirk T. Mescher, P.E., principal, CM Engineering Inc., Columbia, Mo.
• Director-at-Large: Dennis J. Wessel, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, senior vice president, Karpinski Engineering, Cleveland, Ohio.
ASHRAE, founded in 1894, is a building technology society with more than 50,000 members worldwide. The Society and its members focus on building systems, energy efficiency, indoor air quality, refrigeration and sustainability within the industry. Through research, standards writing, publishing and continuing education, ASHRAE shapes tomorrow’s built environment today.